Thermal baths of the Rotonda

The Massimo “Vincenzo Bellini” Theatre is the center of Catania opera. In 1870 the architect Andrea Scala was assigned the task of finding a suitable site to build a new politeama (a theater for performances of different genres), after examining the various options it was decided that the site would be on the area of the Cutelli Square. Despite financial uncertainty the project was approved and with the assistance of the Milanese architect Carlo Sada the work was carried forward, financed by a group of shareholders of the ‘Anonima del Politeama’-society.